Sunday, November 18, 2007

AUTISM/MIKEY: Walking the Walk...So That He Can Talk the Talk

One of my favorite memories of Mikey is of watching him take his first steps. He was so determined to walk and so proud of himself. It wasn't long before he was running.

We take walking for granted. Such a simple act for most of us. Walking is exercise. Walking is mobility. Walking is a mindless task most of the time. Walking...can be rewarding.

On October 14th, Mikey, my wife, and I (and around 20 of our family members) joined around 24,000 others to participate in the 2007 Autism Speaks Autism Walk at Jones Beach. A beautiful day for a beautiful cause surrounded by beautiful people.

The last numbers I heard from Autism Speaks say that a total of around $2 million was raised. That is truly amazing and knowing that my family was part of it and that Mikey and others like him will someday be helped by that money and the research it will fund is very emotional for me.

When I first heard about the Walk (sometime last year) I knew I was going to do it no matter what. I could have had two broken legs and I'd have found a way to do it. If I still would have had my kidney stones I still would have done it. Nothing was going to stop me...well, maybe one thing.

I've never been good at fundraising. At asking people for money. Having grown up without much I realize how hard people work for their money (well, most people) and I realize that it's uncomfortable to be asked to give up some of your money.

But I approached it from the best way I knew how. From the heart. I wrote a series of letters to family and friends and basically gave the facts about autism, about Mikey, and that was it. No begging, no pressure, just honest feelings.

And, much to my amazement, we were able to raise more than $1,500. I couldn't believe it. That amount and seeing the family that came out on Walk Day to support us had me on the verge of tears. I'm not embarrassed to admit that and I said it to my wife that day. I was choked up. In a good way. There's nothing like the feeling of seeing your efforts confirmed with love from family and friends.

Next year my challenge will be to raise more money, get more family and friends involved, and have less of a need for this Walk for Mikey and the growing number of other autistic children.

I walked so that Mikey can someday talk. But I know if he could talk right now he'd be saying...Thank You.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics