Monday, December 17, 2007

SPORTS: Say It Aint So, Andy

"Say It Ain't So, Joe."

Say It Ain't So, Andy!!

"Shoeless" Joe Jackson was a great and beloved player for the Chicago
White Sox in the early part of the 20th century. Without going into
details (because there is still doubt about his role) Jackson was
kicked out of baseball for helping to fix the 1919 World Series in
which his White Sox lost to the Cincinnati Reds. A heartbroken and
disbelieving young fan shouted out "Say It Ain't So, Joe!" I've often
wondered if that fan ever forgave Jackson and if his love for the
game of baseball was tainted.

I've written before about my love of baseball (Take Me Out to the
Ballgame...Zzzz) and about having expectations of people (The Danger
of Great Expectations). Today I'm writing about something that,
unfortunately, combines the two.

The Mitchell Report dealing with steroids and performance-enhancing
drugs in Major League Baseball was released last week and with it a
list of names of players suspected of taking these substances. One of
these players, much to my extreme shock, was Andy Pettitte.

Pettitte has been one of my favorite baseball players for more than
10 years. Not only is he a great pitcher but he's a lefty pitcher
with a great pickoff move, which is what I was when I played ball.
And, many people have said we look a lot alike, which is kinda cool.
When Andy left the Yankees and signed with Houston, I forgave him and
rooted for him on the Astros. WIth the recent revelations, I'm
finding it a bit tougher to be forgiving.

According to an article in Newsday:

"Yankees left-hander Andy Pettitte yesterday admitted the Mitchell
Report's allegations are true - that he did use performance-enhancing
drugs.

Pettitte, in a statement released by agent Randy Hendricks, admitted
using human growth hormone (HGH) on two occasions but denied ever
having used steroids."

It's funny, but, I really don't know how to feel. Is this belief we
have that athletes shouldn't cheat a realistic concept to hang on to?
The history of baseball is full of corked bats, spitballs, and sign
stealing. But, for some reason, those things don't seem as offensive
as knowing that your favorite player took steroids or some other
questionable substance.

Players are paid to win. But I don't think that should be at any cost.

Players get hurt and are expected to play through pain and return
from injuries quickly. But I don't think that should be with the use
of illegal/questionable substances.

Here are some statements from Pettitte regarding the revelations:

"In 2002 I was injured. I had heard that human growth hormone could
promote faster healing for my elbow. I felt an obligation to get back
to my team as soon as possible. For this reason, and only this
reason, for two days I tried human growth hormone. Though it was not
against baseball rules, I was not comfortable with what I was doing,
so I stopped. This is it - two days out of my life; two days out of
my entire career, when I was injured and on the disabled list.

"If what I did was an error in judgment on my part, I apologize.

"I accept responsibility for those two days. Everything else written
or said about me knowingly using illegal drugs is nonsense, wrong and
hurtful. I have the utmost respect for baseball and have always tried
to live my life in a way that would be honorable. I wasn't looking
for an edge; I was looking to heal.

"If I have let down people that care about me, I am sorry, but I hope
that you will listen to me carefully and understand that two days of
perhaps bad judgment should not ruin a lifetime of hard work and
dedication. I have tried to do things the right way my entire life,
and, again, ask that you put those two days in the proper context.

A couple things that bother me about these statements: Pettitte said
that he was not comfortable with what he was doing...doesn't this
show that he knew from the beginning that what he was doing was
wrong? And then he says that if what he did was an error in judgment
he is sorry. You know it was an error in judgment, Andy.

Perhaps I'm taking this too seriously. I mean, after all, Mitchell
doesn't believe these players should be punished. I really don't get
that but I guess the Yankees agree since they just announced that
they re-signed Pettitte to a one-year $16-million deal.

I believe in second chances and in forgiveness and come baseball
season I'll most likely be wearing my number 46 shirt once again.
But, I think more than just "I'm sorry" and slaps on the wrist are
needed to fix this embarrassing time in baseball's history. We need
education about the dangers of steroids and other substances. We need
stricter penalties for those who break the rules. We need a return to
the core values of baseball. And we need all these sooner rather than
later.

I just want the game of baseball that I grew up with. I want to be
able to share that with Mikey as he gets older. I want to sit in
Yankee Stadium and go from player to player and quote their
stats...not what drugs they're taking.

Is that too much to ask?

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics