Wednesday, January 16, 2008

LIFE: The Potential of a New Year

Happy Belated New Year to all! 2008 is finally, finally here. Whew!


As those of you who have read my blog during 2007 will know, last year (heck, the last two years really) was one of the most challenging times of my life. I'm ready...sooooo ready...for some good things to happen this year. I guess that's why the potential of a new year is so inspiring to us all.

My first focus for this new year is the same thing that I've been focused on since July. To find a job. I've been staying positive about this and I am hopeful that something will develop very soon (he said as he kept his fingers crossed). I have such energy and enthusiasm to get started in a new position. I want to be able to fully use my skills and experience and creativity for something worthwhile. I truly believe that humans want to work and like to work and that it is something we need as part of our healthy and happy lifestyle.  I'm ready...let's get started!

Of course, the most important thing this year is for Mikey to continue to do well with his autism therapy and to develop new skills and language. I'm so proud of the kid and he is my constant source of smiles. I've had people tell me that when I talk about Mikey they see this visible transformation in my face and I get this smile that is probably the most genuine thing in my life. Whenever I need some inspiration to pick me up I just watch him sitting and playing with his alphabet toys and listen to him saying the letters...gets me every time.

As with every year, there will be some important decisions in 2008. Personally, in addition to my career and Mikey's development, there are some family decisions to be made that need to be well thought out and made with an open mind and a dedicated heart. On a community level, we get to pick a new president this year. I always get excited at election time but this year, perhaps, is the most important election in many, many years. I'll comment more on Election 2008 next time.

If the end of year holidays are said to be a depressing time of the year for some then the New Year and all its potential has to be considered inspiring and joyous. You get a brand new 365 days to enjoy life and make your mark and experience all the wonders of the world. How can you feel anything but encouraged?!

I've been rereading a few of my favorite books about the Kennedy brothers and was reminded of one of my all-time favorite quotes:

"There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I
dream of things that never were, and ask why not."--Robert F. Kennedy

That's the way I feel about life in this New Year. Why can't I get a wonderful new job that is rewarding for both me and the employer? Why can't Mikey make incredible advances and begin to speak fluently? Why can't we make the positive changes it takes to make the world a more peaceful, happy, and healthy place for all living beings?

I'm searching for the ways to fulfill all the potential and promise of this year. I hope you'll do the same. Good luck to all of us. Have a great year!



No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics