Thursday, January 31, 2008

BLOGGING: To Blog Or Not To Blog...

That is my question. I've been having some thoughts recently about discontinuing Daddy Dan Blog. I figured I'd write about it and see if anyone has any suggestions or opinions.

TIME
I've never found enough time to properly update this blog. My original goal was to post daily but I haven't been able to achieve that. There are various reasons that have kept me from achieving that goal and I'm always impressed and amazed at people who are daily bloggers--where do they find the time?

Last year was a difficult year and it didn't lend itself to be as prolific as I'd love to be. Health problems for my wife and kidney stones for me, losing my job, Mikey's diagnosis and therapy were all more important to me than making time at any costs to write on here.

Because I'm still unemployed and doing a job-search I still don't feel like my mind is completely clear enough to post on a regular basis.

I always feel like if I can't do something right then why do it...okay, maybe not to that extreme but I love to be able to throw myself into something 100% (and no, I won't say 110% because when people do that it drives me crazy...pet peeve, you can't give more than 100%...THAT'S THE POINT!).

INTERACTIVITY
I always envisioned a back and forth between me and the readers of Daddy Dan Blog. So far that hasn't happened. I know there are a few readers out there but I haven't heard from them. I've tried a few things to encourage comments or emails or suggestions but I guess you guys are all shy.

If I felt that some sort of communication would develop between you, the reader, and me, the blogger, then maybe I'd feel this was worth more time and effort on my part. Otherwise, it's just a public diary.

CONTENT
It's not that I don't have things to write about every day. Heck, I could pick up the newspaper or listen to the news and have 50 things to write about on a daily basis. Plus, my personal life always offers some fun stuff. It's definitely not for lack of content.

I think the problem is a generational issue. See, I feel that the younger generation has this concept that anything they write about is completely interesting and should be read by everyone. I don't feel that my generation believes that. We grew up in an environment where only the truly talented or interesting got the attention and accolades. There seems to be an issue of entitlement with the younger generation.

That entitlement idea extends through many areas of life...but especially in the workplace. If I could move off my main topic for a moment, and probably insult a bunch of people (sorry), just a comment about the aforementioned people:

My generation, and the ones before us, believed that if you worked hard and paid your dues you were rewarded by your employer at some point and in some way. But, it's my experience, that that is no longer the expectation among the younger workers. They expect to graduate and be making twice the salary they should be, they expect raises and promotions right away, etc. I'm not trying to sound like an "old man" because I'm not one. But I've witnessed every one of those things I wrote and, I grant you, I'm generalizing and I hate to do that, but, I'm not the only one who has seen this and believes it.

I think that part of the issue is the way those people were treated as children by their parents and community. I know this sounds silly but I think parenting nowadays is geared toward making kids feel entitled. Take, for instance, sports. There are now participation trophies. You show up...you get a trophy. A reward for just going to the game. I played sports my whole life. Never got a trophy just for showing up. When I played on a bad team we didn't get anything for playing badly. We watched the champions get their trophies and we used that as motivation to work harder. I played on one baseball team that won our division three years in a row but lost to the same team in the championship all three years. We got trophies for winning our division but we wanted the big trophy. We didn't sit there and say, well, at least we won something.

But, I don't want to digress too much. I guess I just feel that, without feedback, I wonder if my content is worth posting.

DOING MORE HARM THAN GOOD
When I apply for jobs I usually list Daddy Dan Blog as a sample of my writing. As is the case nowadays, I think a lot of employers research job candidates via Google or other resources on the Web. My blog represents part of my writing style but it also represents a lot of my life.

I've wondered if I've been doing myself more harm than good by listing my blog on my job applications/cover letters. While I believe I haven't written anything too crazy or controversial I assume that anything a person writes can be held against them in some way.

So, I think about whether or not it's worth trying to write honestly on this blog if someone could use it to deny me a job or some other thing of importance--and if I can't write honestly, again, is it worth it? This isn't a blog of fiction.

WHAT DO YOU THINK?
So, I ask you, the reader, for your opinion. Do you like what you read on this blog? Do you want to see it continue? Is there something you want me to write about or change about the blog? I welcome your comments and thank you for reading.

I've set up a poll on the blog for you to express your opinion about the future of Daddy Dan Blog. Thank you for your participation.

No comments:

 
Clicky Web Analytics